Sen. John McCain slams Roger Goodell ove | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GENERAL » General Discussion
Abbey Pendleton Nov 20 '17
NFL commi sioner Roger Goodell has received a lot of backlash for his poor publichandling of league controversies surrounding Ray Tahir Whitehead Jersey Rice or, more recently, Deflate-gate.Count Arizona Sen. John McCain among some of his harshercritics.The former Republicanpresidential candidatewho is the face of opposition toward the NFL's controversial blackout policiesoffered up a le son in handling public perceptionto Goodellduring a recent interview with USA Today.MORE: Tom Brady's 'feelings hurt' by Deflate-gate | Richard Sherman calls out Goodell"I think these controversies would have gone away a lot easier if they had approached them from, 'How are the American people going to react to seeing the video of a profe sional football player knock out his wife?' "McCain said, in referenceto the video of Rice punching his then-fiance in a hotel elevator."If I were them, I would review my whole PR scheme."When TMZ released footage of the Rice incident earlier this year, Goodellfailed to respond publicly to the matter in a timely fashion and was chided for his lack of accountability on the i sue, a mistake to which he has admitted. He similarly has Marshawn Lynch Jersey remained without i suing public commentin the wake of Deflate-gate, although the NFL wastedlittle time launching an investigation against the Patriots last week."One thing we do in politics when there's an i sue that arises, smart politicians have a rapid-response team. What is the reaction of Mr. Goodell in this latest one? He's MIA as far as I can tell."McCain alsothinks Patriots coach Bill Belichick could have handled the situation better."I'm a great admirer of coach Belichick, but I'm not sure he's the NaVorro Bowman Jersey best at PR," McCain said of the coach, who held an impromptu news conference Saturday, during which he offered little insight. "He doesn't have a warm feeling about the media. It's obvious."As his state prepares to host Super Bowl XLIX this weekend, McCain'sspeaking out is really nothing more than a good PR tactic."The whole scandal resonates very badly because just Jim Kelly Jersey before the Super Bowl, which is the premier sporting event in America, the question is not about the contest," McCain said, referring to Deflate-gate. "It's about the pre surization of the football. That's too bad."