f potential new | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GENERAL » General Discussion
cx12345678 Mar 1
Dan Hughes cued up the video of a recent San Antonio Stars game. Howard Wilson Jersey . In particular, one in-bounds play that resulted in a basket for Monique Currie.The thing he noticed first was the Jayne Appel-Marinelli screen that got Currie free to knock down the shot.Jayne does those things for us, Hughes said.Shes done them a lot for seven years -- and thats why her body hurts. Pretty much all the time.I feel like a Band-Aid, Appel-Marinelli said. Every game, I put it on so I can play, and at the end of the game, I rip it off.My job has been extremely physical. I set screens for Becky Hammon for five years and for Kayla McBride after that. And I have a lot of tough defensive matchups. I may not get all the rebounds. But I have to keep somebody like Nneka [Ogwumike] from getting them.During the Olympic break, Appel-Marinelli went home to New York, to new husband Chris Marinelli. They got married in April, dating since they were at Stanford, where Marinelli played for the Cardinal football team. She had time to think. And rest. And imagine what the rest of her life might look like.Appel-Marinelli returned to San Antonio, gave it a couple of games and went into Hughes office and told her coach that this will be her last WNBA season.It just feels right, and I feel good about it, Appel-Marinelli said. This is the end of a playing career, but I dont feel like Im done with basketball.Hughes said he knew it when she walked in the door.I was at her wedding. I knew she was entering a different stage of her life, Hughes said. The timing is right for her in a lot of ways.Appel-Marinelli, who will move back to New York, hopes to stay involved with the WNBA players association. She has been the Stars player rep for five years, the WNBPAs secretary/treasurer for three. She did an offseason internship two years ago at St. Francis College in Brooklyn in the athletic department and said she is interested in the business side of athletics.And Appel-Marinelli will continue her work as a mental health advocate, a cause close to her heart as she has a family member diagnosed with schizophrenia.Hughes said that Appel-Marinelli taught her teammates an important lesson.She showed that you can use basketball as a vehicle to step into a community and make it better, Hughes said.On the floor, Appel-Marinellis pro career wasnt perhaps the highlight reel that many expected after a stellar career at Stanford, where she played in three Final Fours and two national championship games for Tara VanDerveer.VanDerveer regards Appel-Marinelli as one of the best post players shes ever coached, a pinpoint passer out of the paint with great hands and a team-first ethic.But Appel-Marinelli wasnt the same dominant post presence in the WNBA that she was in college. The player who put up 46 points against Iowa State in an Elite Eight game in 2009 never scored more than 17 points in a WNBA game in seven years.I never really knew what to expect from being a professional athlete, Appel-Marinelli said. I came into the draft with a broken foot and an injured ankle, and I missed my first training camp and felt like I spent my whole rookie year catching up.Appel-Marinelli played her entire WNBA career in San Antonio, starting 150 games (averaging 4.1 points and 6.1 rebounds) and settling into a role with the Stars that Hughes said was invaluable to the franchise. She is a strong rebounder, an imposing presence under the glass who has made the most of the things she does well.She came in here, battled through injuries and worked her way into a specific role, Hughes said. Jayne could rebound, she understands the game, she can pass the ball. She landed in a place that really appreciated what she could do. She was not going to get headlines for scoring. But she has always had the love of her team for all the little things she does to make them better.Appel-Marinelli said she will most miss her relationship with her teammates as she retires.Ive been lucky to get to go to work every day and play basketball with some of my best friends, she said. I have made lifelong friendships.But for the first time in her life, starting in a couple of weeks, she will have control of her own schedule.For the first time since high school, maybe even before that, Appel-Marinelli said. Its time to see what else is out there, what comes next after basketball. Jason McCourty Jersey . A knee to the thigh might have stung him the most, but his sixth straight double-double made up for the brief burst of pain. Sammie Coates Jersey .S. Open champion Justin Rose birdied the first hole with a blind shot he hit to a foot of the pin, and he stayed in front Tuesday until he completed a 4-under 67 for a two-shot lead over Jason Dufner in PGA Grand Slam of Golf. http:///...-seth-devalve-jersey . Numbers Game looks into the Canadiens securing the services of Thomas Vanek in a trade with the New York Islanders. The Canadiens Get: LW Thomas Vanek and a conditional fifth-round pick.MONTREAL -- Now comes the tough part for the Montreal Impact. After picking up only two of a possible nine points against lower-ranked teams, the MLS Eastern Conference leaders begin a series of three matches against top contenders tonight when they visit the New York Red Bulls. You can see the game on TSN2 and TSN Mobile TV beginning at 7pm et/4pm pt. Montreal (9-4-4) finished the first half of the 34-game regular season with the leagues best record, but that is about to be tested. After New York, they have home games against Dallas and Kansas City, who are currently in second spot in their respective conferences. "Theyre good teams," goalkeeper Troy Perkins said this week. "Itll be a gut-check for us, to see where were really at and see how badly we really want to win in this league and how far we really want to go." The Impact have games in hand over all their closest rivals, but they let a chance to take a stranglehold on first place slip away with a 4-3 loss at home to Colorado followed by draws of 3-3 in Toronto and 1-1 at home to Chivas USA. Its hard to call a 0-1-2 skid a slump, but they will need to be better, especially on defence, to stay on top against clubs like third-place New York (8-7-4). The Red Bulls have played two more games but could tie the Impacts 31 points with a win. "In this league, its impossible to stay on a roll the whole year," added Perkins. "Youre going to have valleys. "Theres so much parity in this league that anyone can beat anyone. Its not like the EPL or the Bundesliga where theres four teams that run the show every year. So we have to find our feet and start grinding out results again." The Impact should have midfielder Justin Mapp back from a leg injury to boost an attack led by forwards Marco Di Vaio, the co-leader in MLS goal-scoring with 11, and Daniele Paponi. The Red Bulls are having troubles of their own, with one win and four losses in their last five matches. They fell 2-0 at Colorado in their last outing on July 4. This week, 37-year-old Juninho decided to return to Brazil after only 13 games with New York, but they still have a potentially lethal attack led by Thierry Henry and Fabian Espindola. And Australian international Tim Cahill looks to be back on track with four goals in his last eight games. "Its about trying to get it right this week," Cahill told his teams website. "These are the big games you want to play. A result against them would be pretty special." "Although they didnt win for a while, theyre a difficultt team to beat," added Henry, who has six goals in five career games against Montreal. Nate Orchard Jersey. "They can be behind and come back in it." Thats what happened the last time they met on May 8, as the Red Bulls took a lead on two Henry goals before Montreal answered with a late strike from Di Vaio. The Italian, who turns 37 on Monday, nearly tied it at the end when he put a shot off both goalposts. The Impact defeated New York 1-0 in March at Olympic Stadium. "Our attitudes the same, the only thing I see is maybe we need to start worrying about ourselves more instead of focusing on the big picture," added Perkins. "Start worrying about what we have to do on the pitch and stop worrying about results." Coach Marco Schallibaum said the team put out a better defensive effort against Chivas while still generating most of the scoring chances against a team that elected to stay back and defend. There is more back-and-forth play when they face New York, which made for entertaining soccer in their first two meetings. "Weve been a little bit unlucky these last three games and we didnt play like we normally play, but during a season, that can happen," said midfielder Felipe Martins. "The important thing is that we get back to doing what we did before. No panic." Schallibaum does not announce his starting 11, but he is expected to go with the usual back line of Matteo Ferrari and Alessandro Nesta flanked by Jeb Brovsky and Hassoun Camara, who has two goals in his last three games. Other than Felipe and Patrice Bernier, the midfield is up in the air, as captain Davy Arnaud will likely be ready to play after being rested for a game. Arnaud recently returned from a concussion. Sanna Nyassi was perhaps Montreals best player against Chivas and may have earned another start while Mapp, Andres Romero, Andrea Pisanu and Collen Warner are available. Most of talk this week was about how well the team did in the first half of the season, but now comes the tougher job of staying on top. "Were happy with where were at, but now its time to turn on the after-burners," said Brovsky. The Impact should get a notion of what the front office is up to when team president Joey Saputo holds a news conference on Monday. There may be news on the future of injured central defender Nelson Rivas, who has yet to play this season, or of potential new signings. Sporting director Nick De Santis is looking for a creative attacking player and depth in the central defence now that the transfer window is open. Cheap NFL JerseysCheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From ChinaCheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys' ' '