and of the university. This is our responsibil | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GENERAL » General Discussion
cx12345678 Mar 3
Wisconsin senior guard Bronson Koenig wants to effect change by protesting with his fellow Native Americans this weekend over the controversial Dakota Access pipeline rather than just speaking out through social media. Fred Biletnikoff Jersey .Koenig, who joined the ESPN/ABC News podcast Capital Games Thursday,?said he wants to be an active participant in the cause.Koenig, who is from La Crosse, Wisconsin, and is a member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, will travel to North Dakota from Madison Friday and be with his brother Miles and athletic trainer Clint Parks for a Saturday protest against the pipeline outside of Bismarck, North Dakota.I just hope to shed a little light on the issue and bring attention to the issue, said Koenig. My brother asked me Do you want to stand with our brothers and sisters and protect the land and water near to our hearts? I wanted to walk the walk ... My people have been disrespected for the past couple of hundred years.The issue has drawn protests outside of the White House earlier this week, which included former Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT).Green Party candidate Dr. Jill Stein has also protested the issue and was charged with damaging equipment during a protest last week in North Dakota. She spray painted construction equipment. Her running mate Ajamu Baraka was also there and faces a charges of criminal trespass and mischief.At issue for Native Americans is the areas drinking water and sacred burial sites.The Associated Press reported the $3.7 billion, 1,100-mile pipeline project would take crude oil from Bakken shale in North Dakota to Illinois. Tribe members have clashed with security guarding the construction site. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe wants a court order to block construction.I didnt feel any pressure to go, said Koenig. I wanted to go. The weekend is when I have free time. I want to join the fight.Koenig was strong in his comments that the pipeline is breaking a federal law by not consulting with the tribes and alleged that the pipeline was re-routed from a traditionally white area around Bismarck to right over a Native American reservation.The Bismarck Tribune reported last month that an early proposal for the pipeline would have gone over the Missouri River north of Bismarck, but was switched because of the possibility it could damage Bismarcks water supply. The pipeline now would go through a half-mile stretch of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation, a potential threat to their water supply.The paper reported there were other issues such as length of the pipeline and and road crossings by keeping it north, rather than south. A number of homes would have been near its path, as well. But the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe says, according to the paper, that the pipeline would cause hazards for its population.Koenig said there werent Native American role models in sports growing up for him but did mention the most famous one in Jim Thorpe. He said he wants to help the Native American youth and will continue to speak out on issues as they relate to Native Americans. He was strong in his condemnation of the Washington Redskins nickname.Its disrespectful to Native Americans, said Koenig. It would not be allowed for any other race or culture ... It makes me feel disrespected. If you know the origin of the term Redskin it would be offensive to all. If youre not Native American, you cant tell a Native American how to feel.Koenig said he has been supported by his Wisconsin teammates and staff to protest this weekend. Howie Long Jersey .ca looks back at the stories and moments that made the year memorable. T. J. Carrie Jersey . The Hall of Fame defenceman told Landsberg that he believes fighting still has a place in todays game, but thinks staged fighting needs be outlawed. http:///...gio-tavecchio-jersey . -- PGA TOUR Canada member Steve Saunders took a three-stroke lead Saturday in the Web. BURLINGTON, Vt. -- The University of Vermont has suspended four hockey players for five games after an off-campus party at which hazing occurred.Captains Brendan Bradley and Mario Puskarich and assistant captains Chris Muscoby and Anthony Petruzzelli were suspended Thursday, a day before the season opener against Clarkson.This is something that I take very seriously, athletic director Jeff Schulman said. Hazing is dangerous, its against university policy and it wont be tolerated in this athletic department. Were fortunate that this incident did not result in any injuries, but these activities always have the potential to endanger the safety and well-being of our students.A hazing scandal at the school in 1999 led to the cancellation of about half its hockey season.As disappointing as this situation is, I want this to be a valuable learning experience for this team, coach Kevin Sneddon said. I fully support the sanctions and the universitys response, and I also support the players on the mens hockey team. Our program has a strong educational component. I will help our players learn from their mistakes and move forward.The university said after an allegation first surfaced Sept. 24 about the initiation activity, a Campus Security Authority turned the information over to University Police Services for investigation, following university policy and state law.The school said Police Services consulted with the Chittenden County States Attorneys Office, which determined that none of the behavior warranted criminal prosecution. On TThursday, Police Services also informed university officials that it does not intend to issue civil citations. Mario Edwards Jr. Jersey. According to Police Services, first-year team members were asked to temporarily turn over their cellphones on the morning of Sept. 24 for the initiation activity. Later in the afternoon, the team members arrived at an off-campus residence occupied by some of the upper-class players. The initiation activity consisted of first-year team members drinking beer and liquor, and they were expected to be dressed in their boxer shorts while they consumed the alcoholic beverages.The school placed the team on probation for a year with the understanding that any further team misconduct will result in additional discipline up to and including game cancellations. The school said the team will be required to participate in additional educational programming on hazing and will be required to engage in 15 hours of community service.My primary concern is for the safety and well-being of our students, president Tom Sullivan said. At UVM we hold our student athletes to a high standard. The university has explicit rules and procedures that have been and will continue to be followed without exception. I am committed to ensuring that appropriate accountability measures are in place to uphold the integrity of our programs and of the university. This is our responsibility as an educational institution. Cheap NFL JerseysCheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From ChinaCheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys' ' '