watch Man Utd v Arsenal this Saturday and | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GENERAL » General Discussion
cx12345678 Mar 8
In 2014, after Ray Rice was caught on camera punching his then-fiancée in an elevator, the NFL implemented a new personal conduct policy; violations that involved domestic violence would be addressed with a baseline six-game suspension. Josh Bellamy Jersey . The league also hired Todd Jones as chief disciplinary officer in March 2015. The NFLs soul-searching had been replaced by action and new policy.A lot has changed since then, and the NFLs hard line on consequences isnt quite as clear as it once seemed. Just take a look at how the policy has evolved.Last week, Giants kicker Josh Brown received a one-game suspension because of a May 2015 incident in which police were called to his residence in Washington state and he was arrested. The charge, assault fourth degree/domestic violence, was later dropped.Since the six-game suspension language was added to the personal conduct policy, there have been nine NFL suspensions potentially related to domestic violence. In all but two of those cases, the league has upheld suspensions that have been fewer than six games, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Thats despite the fact NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in 2014 that our standards, and the consequences of falling short, must be clear, consistent and current, and that consequences must be implemented through procedures that are fair and transparent.Earlier this month, free-agent tight end Andrew Quarless received a two-game suspension?for a July 2015 incident that involved firing a gun into the air after an argument with a woman. Quarless was fined and sentenced to probation.Before that, Washington linebacker Junior Galette got two games for a domestic violence-related case in which?charges were dropped. There was another incident where a man who appeared to be Galette threatened people on a beach by whipping a belt.And last year, the NFL suspended Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy for 10 games after an independent investigation found that he had used physical force against his former girlfriend in at least four instances. The suspension was later reduced to four games on appeal.Jonathan Dwyer was suspended for three games after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge in an incident where he allegedly head-butted his wife and broke her nose. (The incident took place in 2014 before the new policy was in place, although the suspension came after.) Two players, Jermaine Cunningham and Rodney Austin, received six-game suspensions in September 2015. Later in the season, Quincy Enunwa?and Joseph Randle got four games apiece.The NFL is finding that navigating the murky waters of domestic violence is complicated and not as clear-cut as a six-game baseline implies. Factors such as guns and a history of violence havent been increasing the length of suspensions as spelled out in the updated conduct policy. And other considerations, such as victim cooperation (or lack thereof), seem to be working in favor of the players.Jones said the expectation that every player who violates that element of the policy gets a six-game minimum suspension isnt helpful, because each case is different.You asked me, Is there something we should have more consideration of? Jones said, and thats not setting false expectations given 18 months of history.Implementing the domestic violence policy has been a challenge, Jones said. The NFLs conduct policy states that consideration would be given to any aggravating or mitigating factors in incidents of violations that involve domestic violence. But after the NFL Players Association challenged parts of the new code, the league has given more weight to a players expectation of due process and fairness in implementing it.The NFL cant subpoena players, and the NFLPA disputed both the grounds for and the application of the new blanket standards. Jones also noted that some of the incidents listed above took place before the new policy was in place (Dwyer), and others might be violence, but not necessarily domestic violence (Galette).[People] see six games for DV without an understanding of -- and I dont think we need to set all these definitions out, but we need to talk about it -- is this domestic violence or isnt it? Just because it involves gender dynamics doesnt mean it automatically kicks in an incident of domestic violence, Jones said.Browns one-game suspension was mitigated by a lack of clarity about what happened and a lack of cooperation from law enforcement and witnesses, Jones said. (Since Browns suspension was announced, an additional incident has been uncovered.)Its really hard, and often, victims arent forthcoming, said Anna Isaacson, NFL vice president of social responsibility.Getting to the truth of what happened during an incident can be complicated when a victim doesnt cooperate, something domestic violence experts and the legal system have recognized for years. After the league consulted with many domestic violence experts, the new policy was meant to take into account the reluctance that a man or woman might have in coming forward, perhaps fearing retaliation or economic consequences. Legal charges or consequences are expressly not a prerequisite for a violation to be identified.Not being able to talk to people isnt a mitigating factor. Thats an investigation issue, said Kim Gandy, president of the National Network to End Domestic Violence. If the intention of the NFL was to abide by what law enforcement or the judicial system did or didnt do, then that should have been the statement from the beginning.But the league may have unintentionally incentivized players to try to keep witnesses and victims from coming forward. If the players version is the only one the NFL can get, then that version might stand.Dan Werly, a sports lawyer and Charleston School of Law professor, says the commissioner has the ability to hear the appeal of domestic violence suspensions, and the courts have granted the league wide discretion in setting a policy as long as it is consistent in applying it.Its bizarre because we see Roger Goodell going the other way and getting tougher on non-domestic violence cases, Werly said.Jones said NFL investigations into its players are workplace investigations, which means they have to abide by processes laid out by the National Labor Relations Act.And some players havent been penalized. In two high-profile incidents, Johnny Manziel and Ray McDonald were investigated and no violations were found. Both men went on to have additional incidents. McDonald was arrested again?and subsequently charged with domestic violence. Manziel faces a charge in Dallas County after allegedly rupturing his then-girlfriends eardrum. Neither player is currently in the league.But with the legal record now in Manziels case, Jones emphasizes the NFLs commitment to consequences.Manziels got a six-game suspension thats hanging, Jones said. If a club ever rolls the dice and brings him on board, hes got a six-game suspension thats hanging right now.The NFL has done a lot to strengthen the education of players and, by extension, fans, about the effects of violence and assault. The league has put people in place to evaluate cases and recommend discipline. And still, the NFL isnt finding that task to be any easier than it was to begin with. Jerrell Freeman Jersey . One game after a miserable showing in Oklahoma City, Gay tied a career high with 41 points and the Sacramento Kings cruised to a 114-97 victory at the New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday night. Dion Sims Jersey . Kozun faked to the forehand and beat Monsters starter, Calvin Pickard, pad side in the second round for the winner. Spencer Abbott also scored in the shootout for the Marlies (25-13-4). http:///...ian-amos-jersey.aspx . LOUIS -- The New Orleans Saints looked like a team playing out the string.Ben Teo says a talk with Australias Israel Folau gave him the confidence to cross codes and pursue an international career with England. The 29-year-old made his Test debut from the bench in Saturdays 37-21 victory over South Africa at Twickenham and is set to win a second cap against Fiji this weekend, live on Sky Sports 2, in the second of four autumn internationals. Six months half price Upgrade to Sky Sports to watch Man Utd v Arsenal on Saturday and get the first six months half price Teo, who was born in Auckland and moved to Australia when he was 17, grew up playing both codes of rugby before he settled on league and made eight State of Origin appearances for Queensland. Teo had a chat with Israel Folau about switching codes Folau had already made the transition when the two shared a house together for five months in Sydney and it was the Wallabies full-back who ultimately convinced his former Brisbane Broncos team-mate to switch codes.I was living with Israel Folau at the time, we were living in Kensington. I was at Souths and he was at Waratahs, Teo said. I was feeling a little bit stale and asking myself some questions and I bounced it off him a little bit. Highlights of Englands opening Autumn International against South Africa at Twickenham I said Im 27, do you think its too late?. He said No, no its not too late. I asked if he thought that I would be alright or is it too hard? He said No I think that you can do it. John Timu Jersey. Hes someone that gave me a lot of confidence to give it a go.I left the door open when I first came because I didnt know what would happen. If I had left it too late and I just wasnt on everyone elses level I would have gone back. England vs Fiji November 19, 2016, 2:00pm Live on Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass The initial part was hard but then I really started to enjoy the game and fall back in love with it. The World Cup was a really big thing for me. I watched every game and really enjoyed it as a spectator.I started getting the love back. And then I shut the door - there was no way I was going back. Teo in action for Worcester in the Aviva Premiership Teos first union club was Leinster, and Ireland were hoping to eventually secure his services on residency grounds before Eddie Jones persuaded him to opt for England, an act made possible through his mothers heritage.The first thing I decided was wanting to play rugby union. Obviously my time in rugby league was fun but I was looking for something else, Teo said. Eddie Jones persuaded Teo to opt for England I had some questions myself, such as if I had stayed in union as a kid would I have made it? Would I have been a good player? I needed to answer those questions myself. The opportunity to play union took me to Ireland, thats where I played and then a chat with Eddie.A chat about if I got myself over to the Premiership I would have an opportunity if I played well to put myself in the system and thats how it came along. I obviously knew being eligible and having a passport, it was just the way that it went!Upgrade to Sky Sports now to watch Man Utd v Arsenal this Saturday and get the first six months half price! Also See: Jones rings changes for Fiji Vunipola returns to training Hughes frank over finances Cockerill praises England deal Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '